Lots of variety in these muffins – nuts or no nuts, blueberries or chocolate chips (or neither), gluten free or not, prune purée (adds flavour depth and is lower fat as it replaces part oil) or not. Before we discovered my son’s and my intolerances to gluten I used to use whole spelt flour. Spelt flour, the grandfather of wheat, is often tolerated by those with wheat/gluten intolerances. Feel free to use it if you have not gluten or wheat sensitivities. I prefer whole spelt over the all purpose spelt as it is more nutritious and heartier, with more fibre.
dairy free, gluten free optional, nut free optional, soy free,
banana blueberry (or chocolate chip) muffins REVISED JUNE 30, 2018
350º, 21-23 minutes; makes 2 dozen medium muffins (using 1/4c of batter per muffin),
mini muffins cook for 15 minutes
• 3 cups gluten free flour or whole spelt flour (if gluten is ok)
(I like to use Bob Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free flour; I’ve also had success using equal parts sorghum flour, brown rice flour and gluten free oat flour; or use your fav gf blend)
• 5 bananas, mashed
• 1/2-1 cup walnuts, chopped *optional
• 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (honey, date sugar or coconut nectar also works)
• 1 cup sunflower oil (or coconut oil) OR 3/4 cup sunflower oil + 1/3 cup prune puree (soak 1/2 cup prunes in 3 tbsp warm water – aprox 12 prunes; purée)
• 2 eggs
• 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 3/4 tsp salt
• 2/3 c blueberries OR 1/2 c dark bittersweet chocolate chips (sometimes I add 5-6 chocolate chips on top of half the muffins before baking)
bananas in a large bowl
sugar and oil (and prune puree, if using); add eggs
dry ingredients in a medium size bowl
dry ingredients to wet ingredients with a danish whisk, careful not to over mix
Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop batter into each muffin cup. Place muffins on centre rack in 350º oven for 21-23 minutes.
Each oven is different, so check on the early side, around 21 min, by inserting a tooth pick or knife into the middle of the muffin. You don’t want batter sticking to either (though a little bit of moist muffin pieces is fine).
Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes before placing on wire cooling racks.