Once you make cranberry sauce from scratch you will never be able to eat it from a can. This is a very loose recipe – I’ve doubled the cranberries before with great results, as well as omitted water or orange juice if I didn’t have any on hand. Actually, I haven’t made it with orange juice for a long time.
Makes a good 2+ cups. Sometimes I triple this recipe (especially at Christmas). Make a day in advance, or at least a few hours in advance as the sauce will thicken as it cools.
• 2 1/4 cup fresh organic cranberries
• 1/4 honey
• 2/3 water
• 2/3 fresh orange juice, optional (and not needed, really, unless you want it sweeter and runnier)
• 1/2 cinnamon stick
• 1/2 tbsp orange zest or orange marmalade
Bring to boil
• water and honey
• cranberries and orange zest, stirring occasionally; simmer uncovered until they pop, approx 10-15 minutes.
Let it cool. Add more honey if necessary.
Sauce will thicken as it cools, so don’t worry if it seems too runny.
You could try
• dry red wine in place of water or orange juice