My kids love these fritters. I finally got my butt around to making them this week, for the first time in at least 5 years. My kids talked about how they brought back so many memories. They are officially back in the weeknight meal rotation, again.
dairy free, gluten free (optional), soy free, paleo (optional)
chic pea fritters
makes approx 20
• 1 can chickpeas, 13-15 oz
• 1 onion, diced
• 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 5 tbsp whole spelt flour (use Bob Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free or almond flour for paleo)
• 1 large egg white
• 2 tbsp chia seeds (sesame seed is another option)
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp sea salt
• dash of cayenne
• DIP OPTIONS: plain yogurt or tzatziki sauce
• HEAT in sauce pan, 3 tbsp oil over medium heat.
• ADD onion, cooking for a few minutes until translucent.
• ADD chia seeds, cumin, & cayenne. Cook for a couple of minutes until spices are very fragrant.
• BLEND OR PROCESS chic peas, lemon, egg white, salt & 1 tbsp oil. Blend until mixture is almost smooth, leaving some chunks.
• TRANSFER mixture to a large bowl.
• STIR in onion mixture.
• FOLD in flour until just combined.
• FORM batter into approx 2.5″ patties.
• COOK for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.