I made this recipe for this morning’s breakfast. Prepped it last night, and threw it in the oven when I got up to do yoga. Best yoga ever, having the smell fill the room. It was ready an hour later when it was time to get the kids up. I need to do this more often – a little extra effort at night makes for a relaxing morning not having to worry about what to make (and usually my 3 want different things).
My crisps are healthy enough for breakfast and tasty enough to serve as dessert – especially if you add whipped coconut cream. I have a variety of crisp toppings recipe. This one is simple and delicious and one of my favourites.
gluten free, dairy free, vegan, refined sugar free
strawberry rhubarb crisp
• 1 cup walnuts, smashed (in mortal & pestle)
• 1 cup almond flour (can make this by processing almonds in high speed blender or food processor)
• 1 cup gluten free rolled-oats
• 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
• 2-4 tbsp currants
• 2 tbsp coconut oil (today I split it – 1 tbsp coconut oil + 1 tbsp sunflower oil)
• honey (I free poured it, was probably 2 tbsp)
• fresh or frozen strawberries & rhubarb – any amount of each to total approx 5 cups (usually 3 cups of strawberries)
• 1 tbsp maple syrup
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• add tbsp water and/or more lemon if mixture is still dry – want rhubarb to be stewing in some liquid
NOTE When I prepped this the night before, I did not add the crisp topping until the morning, just before putting it in the oven.
MIX The crisp topping ingredients in a medium size bowl.
MIX The filling ingredients in the oven safe dish (I use pyrex square dish or rectangular – approx 9 x 13; I like to spread it out in larger dishes so that you get more space for the topping).
SPRINKLE the topping over the fruit filling. Cover the dish (with foil if you don’t have a lid) and put it in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the cover/lid and cook for another 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes to allow the juices to thicken, before serving. Serve plain, with plain yogurt or whipped coconut cream.