My 4 yr old and I joined my 9 yr old son on a school field trip this morning. We arrived home a bit pooped at 1pm craving smoothies. Of course I had a request for chocolate, so I powered it up with spinach, flax oil and other goodness to ensure we were getting lots of nutrients in our empty, tired bodies.
I added 1/2 a scoop of genuine health fermented vegan protein powder to my 4 yr old’s smoothie (10g of protein). I always buy unflavoured and I find this one is great. (Some unflavoured powders are nasty!) Cocoa or cacao powder is great – a lot of people piss on cocoa powder but it too is high in nutrients and anti-oxidants. So don’t stress over not having cacao powder (I know, it even sounds fancy-nutritious, pronounced “ca-cow-o”). Maca is a mood and hormone balancer, but also great for its nutty flavour (and mixes well with chocolate), for your skin, energy and overall health (helps restore red blood cells). Get more hair, skin and bone health from spinach – also protein, iron, vitamins and minerals. Healthy fats & omega 3s from flax oil. Coconut butter – boosts immunity and your metabolism. I did not feel like I was serving my daughter a chocolate shake for lunch.
chocolate maca protein smoothie
Blend in high power blender:
• 1/2-1c almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
• 1 banana (frozen is even better)
• sm-lg handful baby spinach (I get prewashed organic in tub for convenience – no excuses)
• tsp-tbsp flax oil
• tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
• tbsp maple syrup (I prefer to use a medjool date but was all out)
• tbsp coconut butter (or shredded coconut)
• 1/2 scoop @genuinehealth protein powder (10 g protein)
• tsp maca