Yum. Really quick to make – nutritious and guilt free. Just the way we like it. My kids love this “bread”. I use minimal amount of oil yet it’s still moist. I find gluten free can go either way – be really dry or too moist, so be sure not to overcook this bread. Always be aware how accurate your oven is. My oven cooks 25º higher; so, for example, this recipe calls for 325º, so I set my oven at 300º. You can buy cheap oven thermometers at any hardware store.
Ok, lets get right to the recipe for “chocolate bikini bread” (coined by my youngest when she was 4). his is really easy to prep, just needs some time in the oven. I made this in between ski hill drop offs and pick ups, managing colds, prepping for our trip to Austria in two days, a visit from the lice squad, a tennis lesson & tidying for new tile floors while we’re gone. As always, you can sub in whole spelt flour for the gluten free blend if you prefer. T
gluten free, nut free, dairy free, crap free
chocolate zucchini bread
325º, makes 1 loaf (use glass or pyrex bread dish, 9×5″)
• 1 1/2 c gluten free flour blend*
• 1/2 c (or 3/4 c for you chocolate lovers) dark/bittersweet chocolate chips or diced bar (sugar never the first ingredient! I use camino brand or green & black)
• 1/2 c coconut palm sugar
• 1 1/2 c grated zucchini, loosely packed
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 c oil (refined, high-heat, non-GMO organic sunflower oil or coconut oil)
• 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
* I used 3/4 c sorghum flour & 3/4 c oat flour. I’ve also used brown rice flour or Bob Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose flour before. Don’t scoop the flour – let flour fall into measuring cup (otherwise you’ll end up with extra flour and dry baked goods! Same goes for baking soda & powder)
MIX IN LARGE BOWL
• flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda & zucchini (use a danish whisk to prevent zucchini getting stuck inside the traditional french style whisks)
BEAT IN SMALL BOWL
• eggs, then add oil, sugar & vanilla extract
• bread dish with coconut or sunflower oil
• 60 min
Allow to cool in pan on counter for at least 5 minutes. Use a spatula around the edges to loosen the bread. Place a cookie rack (cooking rack) on the top of the pan and flip them over to release the loaf. So the loaf is upside down. Get a second cookie rack and place it on the bottom of the loaf (so the two racks are like the bread of a sandwich, loaf is the middle) and then flip them over (so the loaf is now right side up).
Or…you can just slice away from inside the bread pan. Best to devour the same day.