Looove this soup and how quick and easy it is to make. I only make it when tomatoes are in season (tis the season). Though I just learned from auto correct while posting this that it’s not called ‘gazpachio’, but ‘gazpacho’!? (I think I’ll still call it gazpachio.)
It’s ok to be missing some ingredients, like we were at the cottage this week – just improvise. We were short on basil, so we added mint (my brother’s smart suggestion, as well as the ACV tip, below). And I didn’t have parsley for the salsa garnish, but it was still delicious.
And don’t worry, if your kids wouldn’t go near this soup, just make extra of the garnish. My son didn’t realize this was for the soup and almost ate all of the ‘salad’ before we noticed. (You add some fresh lime juice.)
raw, gluten free, paleo, dairy free, vegan
enough for approx 6-8 bowls
• 5-6 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
• basil, approx 2 cups, loosely packed (or try a basil/mint combo like we did)
• 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 c lemon juice (apple cider vinegar would work well as substitute or combination)
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1/2 tsp salt
BLEND all of the above ingredients to the consistency of your choice.
• 1 large avocado, pitted and both sides sliced lengthwise and crosswise (to form avocado cubes)
• 1/2 yellow pepper, cubed
• 1/2 orange pepper, cubed
• 4 celery stalks, sliced
• fresh parsley
• optional: 1-2 green onions/scallions, diced
Feel free to modify any veggies here…cucumber would be nice, as well as other favourite, fresh herbs. Double and add lemon or lime juice if you are serving some as a side dish for kids.
Place a few spoonfuls of the garnish on top. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature. Enjoy