I avoid most cereals as even the healthy ones are often processed. I do like to have whole food, granola, on hand as much as possible, for this reason.
Feel free to go heavier on nuts (less seeds) or sub in half walnuts or any other favourite nut, or switch out honey for maple syrup. Up the liquid to 1/2 cup each if you want a crispier granola. Lots of options to make it your own.
I used to cook this recipe at 250º, and once left it in for 9 hours (by accident); so, if you are worried you might burn your granola just turn the temp down and don’t stress it!
gluten free, dairy free, vegan
300º, one hour (stir every 20 minutes)
• 4 cups gluten free oats
• 2 cups almonds, chopped or ground into small pieces (or process into almost an almond flour — great option for kids that don’t like chunks of nuts)
• 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
• 1/2 cup hemp seed
• 1/2 cup shredded coconut
• 1/4 cup chia seed
• 1/3 – 1/2 cup currants (or raisins or cranberries or a mix, if you prefer)
• 1/3 extra virgin olive oil
• 1/3 cup amber maple syrup
Mix all ingredients together and place on a bar or stoneware pan, spread out with same thickness for even roasting, in a 300º oven. Stir every 20 minutes. Bake for 1 hour. Allow to cool in pan before placing in a jar.